This section describes how to download and use the Material Theme UI plugin in your IDE.
The easiest way to install the Material Theme plugin is through IntelliJ’s plugin manager. The plugin manager usually contains stable releases that made it through testing and feedback.
- Open Settings/Preferences (Windows/Linux:
- On the left, select Plugins
- Click on the button
- In the search field, type
- Double click on
Material Theme UIto install it.
- Click the
OKbutton and restart the IDE.
If for some reason you don’t want to use the plugin repository, or if you want to run your fork of the plugin, you can decide to install it manually.
- Select the version you want to install. Please note the Compatible Builds column to ensure that your IDE is compatible with the selected version.
- Download the zip archive of the plugin.
- Open Plugins settings (
Preferences -> Plugins)
- Instead of selecting
Browse repositories, select Install plugin from disk and select the zip file.
- Click OK and restart the IDE.
Once the plugin is installed, you will immediately notice that the color of your IDE changed to a nice oceanic blue color! But the Material Plugin is much more than that.
Setting the color scheme
The first thing to set is to change the color scheme to fit your current UI Theme.
To do so, open the
Quick Switch Panel by typing
/Cmd + ~ and select
Color Scheme. Besides the color
schemes provided by the IDE and your own custom color schemes, you will find seven more color schemes provided by the
These schemes are adapted to the UI Theme of the same name, plus, for Atom One Dark, a complete port of the original Atom One Dark color scheme.
You can see more in the Color Schemes section.
Configuring the plugin
The plugin also comes with a bunch of configurable settings to suit all flavors. There you can disable certain features, change the colors, sizes and appearance of the elements and so on.
These settings are found inside
Settings -> Appearance and Behavior -> Material Theme Settings.
Check Settings for more info.
Material Theme Quick Panel
Last but not least, the plugin is also providing 4 action groups to quickly customize the theme. These action groups are found in:
- The IDE menu, under
Tools -> Material Theme
- The main toolbar, at the end of the toolbar
- By invoking the
Quick Switch Panel
Check Actions for more info
The plugin is supported on all IDEs, but because of changes of the SDK specific versions are available only on latest builds:
- IDEs versions 2016.X and lower > up until version
- IDEs versions 2017.1-2 > up until version
- IDEs versions 2017.3+ > up until version
- IDEs versions 2018.1 > from version
- IDEs versions 2018.2 > from version
- IDEs versions 2018.3 > from version
- IDEs versions 2019.1+ > from version